“Huddle Up: Let’s Talk Obesity” aims to educate and inspire our members and men to open up about obesity and seek help. Many people may not be aware of the issues that impact their health when living with excess weight, which is why this campaign is so important.
Did You Know?
- Four out of 10 Americans live with obesity – that means we all know or love someone who may be struggling with their weight
- More than half of our NFL Alumni live with obesity yet only a small fraction thinks of their weight in this way
- Living with excess weight can lead to serious health issues like type 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes, fatty liver disease, hypertension, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis and heart failure if not addressed
- People with obesity have a higher risk of severe illness or hospitalization from COVID-19
- Many factors beyond healthy eating and physical activity contribute to gaining excess weight, such as genetics, hormones, behavioral habits around sleep or stress and physical as well as social environments
We Want To Let Our Members And Fans Know
- That we aren’t alone with weight challenges and that there is hope
- There’s a medical reason behind weight regain, so understanding what affects our weight can help us and our families determine a plan that’s best for us
- Obesity is chronic, meaning it won’t just go away unless we address it; there is no one-size-fits-all solution, so we may need more than healthy eating and exercise
Help Is Out There
If you or a loved one live with excess weight, know that there are personalized strategies to manage your weight.
- The good news is that managing your weight over time can lower the risk of life-threatening complications
– For example, losing just 5% of weight or more and keeping it off can improve weight related conditions like heart disease and type 2 diabetes
- Just as there are multiple ways to game plan for an opponent, there are many ways to address your weight, and different strategies may work for different people
- Have the conversation with your healthcare provider and ask for a game plan that is right for you and your family
Our Members Huddled Up
More than 1,200 of our members participated in a health and wellness survey. We learned a lot about our current state of health and perceptions around weight.
Take a look at the results and see why we are urging everyone to Huddle Up with us to discuss obesity.
It’s time for open and honest dialogue around this topic so we can understand the link between living with excess weight and achieving overall health.
Open To Getting Help
NFL Alumni strongly agree that obesity can cause a variety of health problems, including increased risk for serious complications from COVID-19 In fact, research shows that people with obesity have a higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and are more likely to need treatment in a hospital.
of NFL Alumni agree that it’s important to confront and address health issues, not hide from them
of NFL Alumni with obesity have talked to their healthcare provider about needing to lose weight
of NFL Alumni would appreciate advice on the best way to lose weight