Fall Fitness Tips From FitBit to Keep You Active
Changing weather can also mean a change in routine, which is the perfect time to update your fitness habits. While it may be tempting to let things become more relaxed when schedules fill up and sweaters come out of the closet, keeping up with your fitness goals (or creating new ones!) is the perfect way to stay healthy all year long. To make the most out of your Fall fitness plans, here are some tips to keep things going:
1. Try a Morning Workout. For those who live somewhere with daylight savings, you’ll be getting an extra hour to your mornings in just a few weeks. Instead of sleeping in, try moving up your wake-up time and using that extra hour to go for a run or hit the gym. With the sun going down earlier, it’s also great for those who don’t have the gear (or desire) to work out past sundown.
2. Wear Reflective Clothing. If you ARE someone who’s sticking to a later workout schedule, be sure to invest in reflective clothing. A setting sun can make it hard for cars to notice someone crossing the street, so stay safe and do your best to stay visible.
3. Start Using a Scale. Bulky clothes and jackets can make it harder to notice when our bodies are changing. Know where you stand by making a habit of weighing yourself once a week (without the heavy clothes) so that there are no surprises when you go back to spring fashion. The Fitbit Aria will even sync your weight stats to your Fitbit account so you can track your trends over time!
4. Make a Plan. Don’t just set goals – set up a plan to help you accomplish them. If you want to walk 10,000 steps a day but usually only walk 6,000, plan on taking a walk on your lunch break or heading to the gym and not leaving until your goal is met. Make sure any gear you need (workout clothes, running shoes) is packed up and ready to go the night before so that you don’t have to rush in the morning. Or if you want to eat healthier, plan your menus a week ahead so that you aren’t scrambling while hungry later.
5. Try Something New. Whether you’ve always wanted to try yoga or are looking to expand your recipe book, Fall is a great time to learn new things. Commit to trying one new exercise class or looking up healthy recipes to learn (or even serve during the holidays!).
6. Layer Up. It’s getting colder outside, but you’ll soon warm up if you’re exerting yourself. So make sure you dress in layers so you can keep yourself comfortable when working out outside.
7. Wear Sunscreen. It might not be summer, but it’s just as important to protect your skin in the Fall! Make sure you put sunscreen on before any sweatshirts and jackets so that you’re ready if you need to remove your top layer of clothing.
8. Stay Hydrated. Hydration is important in every season. Just because it’s not hot out doesn’t mean you should drink any less water. Try keeping a bottle next to you at all times and tracking how much you drink throughout the day on Fitbit to hold yourself accountable.
9. Try Tea. If you get bored of plain water, you can keep hydrated AND warm with herbal teas! Teas have also been known to have health benefits on their own, so read up on different kinds to give yourself a boost in other areas of your health as well. Plus, just sitting with a hot cup of tea can help you get a little extra R&R as well.
10. Reward Yourself. One way to stay motivated is to give yourself rewards when you meet certain milestones. Whether you’re motivated by treating yourself to a healthy meal out or a trip to the spa, find things to let yourself indulge in along your path to fitness.
And whatever you do, have fun! It’s easier to keep up with something when you enjoy what you’re doing, so find a way to combine fitness with fun.
This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or condition. Always check with your doctor before changing your diet, altering your sleep habits, taking supplements, or starting a new fitness routine.